Ways To Reverse Prediabetes Naturally
You’ve probably heard of prediabetes. It is a condition in which blood sugar levels are higher than usual but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes. Prediabetes still warrants medical attention despite your blood sugar levels being less dangerous. That’s because it can increase your risk for type 2 diabetes and other health problems. It’s estimated that half of all people with prediabetes will go on to develop type 2 diabetes within five years. But the good thing is that you can reverse or cure prediabetes naturally, without any drugs or surgery, by following a few lifestyle changes.
One of the paths to manage prediabetes and ultimately reverse it naturally is through Ayurveda. In Ayurveda, diabetes is called Prameha, and prediabetes is called Prameha Purvaroopa. It is defined as a condition that affects the urinary system. Before we get to prediabetes reversal tips, we must first understand what causes this condition.
The three nidanas or root causes of Prameha Purvaroopa include:
- Unwholesome diet
- Aberrant lifestyle choices
- Disturbed doshas
A few prediabetes symptoms to look out for include:
- Sveda – lots of sweating
- Netropadeha – burning sensation in the eyes
- Angagandha – excessive body odour
- Asya madhurya – sweet feeling in the mouth
- Kara Pada Daha – burning in hands and feet
- Pipasa – extreme thirst
- Tandra – extreme lethargy and laziness
- Anga Suptata – numbness in the body
- Shvasa Dourgandhya – foul-smelling breath
- Sarvakala needra – the constant feeling of sleepiness
You can manage Prameha Purvaroopa by following a regimen called Panchakarma, which includes detoxification therapies such as milk enema. It also includes other remedial measures like herbs and Ayurvedic diet modification. Here we’ve listed four things you must follow to reverse prediabetes or Prameha Purvaroopa.
- Stop white sugar and switch to natural sugar: Natural sugars are obtained from jaggery, honey, fruits, etc. These are good for the body and provide the necessary nutrition. On the other hand, white sugar is just empty calories and does more harm than good. So the first step in reversing prediabetes is to stop white sugar intake completely.
- Exercise or practice yoga daily: Working out is a great way to keep your body fit and away from illnesses, even diabetes. Indulging in physical activity for 40-60 minutes daily is highly beneficial for pre-diabetic patients. You can increase its positive effects if you club meditation or pranayama. By staying active, you improve your metabolism and help the pancreas function optimally.
- Have early dinners: Eating and sleeping right away is always bad. Ensure you stop eating food at least three hours before bedtime as it facilitates “optimum liver detoxification.” Also, try to keep a gap of 3 hours between every meal.
- Have adequate sleep: If you have diabetes, too little sleep can negatively affect every area of your prediabetes management, including how much you eat, what you choose to eat, and how you respond to insulin. Sleeping for at least 8 hours daily is one of the best ways to keep your prediabetes reversal plan on track. But there’s more. Adequate sleep is also the best way to improve immunity, reduce chronic inflammation, manage physical and mental stress and improve hormonal issues.
Apart from setting a good daily routine, here are some things you should keep in mind.
- Foods to avoid: Milk, sweets, ice-creams, fruit sugar, cakes, pastries, sweet biscuits, chocolates, soft drinks, condensed milk, cream, jaggery, yogurt.
- Herbal dietary supplements: Cinnamon, aloe vera, amla, green tea, fenugreek, neem, and turmeric.
- Foods to eat: Vegetables and fruit with low glycemic index & low glycemic load, low-fat dairy products, beans, and whole grains. Also, choose poultry and lean meat instead of fatty red meat or processed meat.
The Ayurvedic approach to chronic diseases has not only been successful at treating the immediate symptoms but also has addressed the underlying causes by restoring health to the body and mind.
The Ayurvedic approach to managing diabetes is holistic and addresses the root cause of the disease. It’s based on the principle that imbalances in your body will affect your overall health, including your digestion. Ayurveda helps you to restore balance naturally by improving digestion and absorption of nutrients, which in return helps lower blood sugar levels. This also reduces fat deposition in the body and improves insulin sensitivity.
If you want to try out the Ayurvedic approach to reversing prediabetes, Ayuvi can help. We have an Ayurveda-inspired diabetes reversal program in which you can consult expert Vaidya daily to control your blood sugar levels, naturally.