Truth Behind Diabetes Reversal
Ayurveda, the 5000 years old holistic medicinal wisdom, believes that the three doshas in a person’s body – Kapha, Vata and Pitta – and their interactions are responsible for their health. Any imbalance in the doshas and diminishing of the digestive fire or agni can cause health disorders. Ayurvedic treatment center around sustainable and preventive all-round healing methods that focus on correcting the dosha imbalances to help people lead disease free, long & fulfilling lives.
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder that occurs when the pancreas in the body produces insufficient insulin, or the when the body does not properly process the insulin that is produced, resulting in abnormally high blood sugar levels.
Ayurveda describes diabetes as ‘Prameha’ or sweet urine and is mainly a Kapha dosha disease but the vata dosha also play a role. Type I diabetes or Diabetes mellitus is a Vataja Prameha where the pancreas doesn’t produce enough insulin to keep the blood glucose levels within the normal range. Type II diabetes or Diabetes insipidus is a Kaphaja Prameha where the body does not use the insulin produced effectively. According to Ayurveda, diabetes is caused due to two conditions, Avarana (blockages in body channels due to kapha dosha) and Dhatukshaya (diminished tissues).
According to Ayurveda, it is possible to reverse diabetes by treatment of gut & metabolism. It depends on the stage of diabetes, where a recently diagnosed patient will find it easier to reverse diabetes than a chronic case where the reversal maybe slower.
Ayurvedic procedures for diabetes reversal
- Avoiding consumption of starchy and fatty food (pishta-snigdha annasevana)
- Avoiding excessive consumption of curd and jaggery (gud) products
- Avoiding consumption of cold (sheeta) and soft (snigdha) drinks that can aggravate the Kapha dosha
- Avoiding over sleeping (swapnashayana) or taking daytime naps
- Refraining from a sedentary lifestyle or lack of regular exercise (Avyayam)
- Following Dinacharya (Ayurveda based day routines) and Ratricharya (healthy Ayurveda prescribed night regimen) to maintain normal daily cycles
Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes is aimed at going to the root causes of the disorder, breaking the manner in which a disease develops, known as reverse pathogenesis or ‘Samprapti Vighatana’, and then eliminating it totally at its core.
Nidana parivarjan, according to Acharya Sushrut, is the most important principle of Ayurvedic medicine as it is based on the concept of eliminating the root causes that produce and grow krumi/infections thus becoming a type of treatment itself against the disorder. Nidan parivarjan, in relation to diabetes, means to avoid factors that contribute to causing Prameha to prevent as well as manage the disease by following a healthy Ayurveda prescribed aahara (diet) & vihara (lifestyle).
An Ayurvedic diabetes reversal program, depending on the patient’s requirement, can include
- Deepan + pachan – a well-planned diet, ayurvedic herbs and exercise schedule that helps to stimulate agni for better digestion and absorption. Deepan chikitsa helps to improve digestive fire or the Agni whereas pachan chikitsa removes toxins from the body
- Shaman chikitsa – It is a healing process that balances the aggravated doshas. It rejuvenates the body by restoring imbalances and removing impurities that are left behind after detoxification
- Purvakarma – to flush out toxins/ama
- Panchakarma – full body detoxification
Of course, not all diabetes requires Panchakarma for reversal, for some patients only deepan + pachan or shaman chikitsa are enough for diabetes reversal.
Ayurvedic medicines for diabetes reversal
- An extract of herbs Haridra, Daru Haridra, Tagara and Vidanga and mixed with honey is a great remedy for kapha dosha diabetes
- A combination of turmeric (Nisha) and amla (Indian gooseberry) called Nisha Amalaki is highly beneficial in diabetes reversal
- Extract of herbs Musta, Darunisa, Triphala and Visala mixed with a paste of honey and Haridar is effective against all types of diabetes
- According to Charak Samhita, barley soaked in triphala extract overnight and then mixed with honey is an extremely effective drink for diabetics
Ayurveda has a number of internal medicines that can help manage all types of diabetes
According to Ayurveda, diabetes is an acquired lifestyle disorder so dietary changes, regular exercise, yoga (asanas that reduce gut fat) & pranayama for stress management and relaxation, ayurvedic procedures and herbal medicines, can all be beneficial in successfully reversing insulin resistance and eventually diabetes.