Kapha Dosha – The Kapha Type and Their Characteristics
Ayurveda teaches that each one of us has a distinct Prakruti which is determined at birth and is the result of the interaction between the tridoshas or energies, Vata, Pitta and Kapha. These doshas arise from the combination of the Panchamahabhutas or the five basic elements namely Vayu (air), Agni (fire), Jal (water), Akash (space) and Prithvi (earth) that are the very basis of all life in the universe.
What is Kapha dosha?
Kapha dosha is the combination of water and earth elements and provides stability, structure and strength to all things. The Kapha dosha is dominant in the chest and is mainly responsible for development of various tissues in our body.
Kapha dosha characteristics
- Kapha dosha can be described as slow, cool, heavy, smooth, delicate, thick, stable, gross, and cloudy
- Kapha dosha is responsible for hydrating our cells and skin, lubricating joints, boosting immunity and protecting the tissues
- Kapha dosha type individuals have a solid physique but low appetite compared to Vata and Pitta types. They have tendency to be overweight, have glowing skin, abundant & thick hair
- Kapha type people love heat but don’t like cold and damp weather. They are generally calm, thoughtful, patient, thorough, elegant but also easily bored, slow and lethargic
How to balance Kapha dosha?
- Have two to three meals a day, depending on the Ritu (season) and eat them at regular times as the Kapha dosha type have slow digestive fire
- Diet for Kapha dosha should include katu (pungent), tikta (bitter) and kashaya (astringent) rasas whereas Madhur (sweet), amla (sour) and lavana (salty) rasas need to be avoided Include grains such as barley & millet, and spices (except salt) in approved quantities
- Avoid sour & heavy fruits, sugar products (sugar aggravates Kapha, use honey instead), nuts, and vegetables like cucumbers, sweet potatoes as they increase Kapha in the body
- Sleep for 7-8 hours only, as Kapha dosha people tend to oversleep which can result in weight gain and sluggishness
- Have a regular exercise regimen
0 CommentNo comments found.
Thank you. Your comment will be visible after an approval.
Add your comment